Zaloggo is a well known historical place, and mountain as well, which became a symbol of freedom in the past. It is a unique incident in the world wide history. In this place, in the year 1803, when Souli territory, after a long lasting war fighting, has been conquered by the troops of Ali Passa, 63 women with the kids in their arms, singing and dancing were felt off the edge of the cliffs, preferring to die free than to surrender to Turk conqueror.
The symbol and remembrance of the sacrifice of Souliot women, is the memorial that was built there in the year 1961, after a fundraiser that run by the Greek people, which can be reached climbing up 410 stairs, starting from the base of the mountain where lies the monastery of Saint Demetrios. Sculpture of the memorial was G. Zoggopoulos, and master architect P. Karantinos.
The history of the monastery begins with the foundation few meters away from the current position of the church of Taxiarchis Gavriil, probably around 400 a.C. The monastery was renovated, around 1962, where it transformed from men’s monastery to women’s monastery.
Nekromanteio of Acheron
Nakromanteio was the most famous place of Ancient Greece where people were coming to seek guidance from the dead people. Most findings that were discovered in Nekromanteio, represent the era of great prosperity of the 3rd century and 2nd century b.C. There are though findings of the ending of the 4th century or the beginning of the 3rd century b.C.
At the end of the 3rd century b.C., there were some adding. The area of the yard was inhabited again in the 1st century b.C. Herodotus certifies the operation of the sanctuary in the 8th century b.C. and which is also confirmed by the figurines of Persephone’s and the Neonia of the Odyssey. Some Macynaean shells and a Mycenaean copper sword lead to 130 century b.C. The Greek sanctuary was ruined by the Romans at 167 b.C.
Remarkable is the three-part construction of the building that was giving the gloomy impression of the Underworld. The physical and mental testing during the long-lasting staying in the darkroom of the Nekromanteio, the isolation, the meditation, the calling of the spirits, the wandering in the dark corridors, the common belief that the dead people will appear, was created in the pilgrim the appropriate mental predisposition. This was helped by the special diet, which the pilgrim was undergone.
Monastery of Lekatsa
The Monastery of Lekatsa is built at position Kortos 4Km northwest of village Mirsini. Probably was founded in the 17th century.
The katholikon of the monastery is a one-room, wooden-roofed church of large dimensions. It was built in 1744 and restored in 1870. Initially, the church has a dome. 1870 the dome was demolished and a wooden roof was constructed.
In the northwest corner of the church, a bell tower is built of the type of perforated wall in 1813.
In the surrounding area, there were built three other buildings of the 19th century. All the block of buildings has a fence all around constructed from stones. The pylon of the monastery is situated on the east side.
The monastery is undergoing major restoration work by the I. Mitropolis Prevezas. The monastery has been characterized as a historical preserved monument.
Ancient Nicopolis is stretching in an area of 9000 acres at the peninsula of Preveza, northwest of Epirus territory. The ancient city was established by Octavious, after the navy battle of Actium at 31 b.C. when the habitants of the near-by cities os Epirus, Lefkas kai part of the Aitolean-Acarnanian, were forced to live in the local area. The city was having special political and economical privileges. It had its own mint and was celebrating Actia every four years. Actia was games that included horse racing, music contest. There was a place of gathering of intellectual men of that era like Epictetus (89 b.C.). The city’s inhabitation continued during Byzantine times.
Cassopi, is the capital city of Cassiopea, was built in the middle of the 4th century b.C., in a naturally fortified position, on a plateau in the altitude of 550-650 meters, on the slopes of mount Zalongo, The site was selected by Ilieis emigrants that arrived there in order to cultivate the rich soil on the south.
Artolithia was one of the ancient ports of Cassiopea. The name Artolithia was given during the Venetian-Turk war in accordance to its utility as the port was used to supply the Castle of Agia Mavra in Lefkas from the Venetians. (Artos is the bread, and Lithos is the stone).
Probably though the word came from the Byzantine word Ortholithia, (Orthios means standing still), because the port is created from standing still, big rocks. Artolithia was connecting the medieval city of Rinniasa, which is referred as Arnaousa.